Learn how to make devil’s food cake for Halloween dessert, in this video tutorial
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup butter
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and boiling water. Add sour cream, and continue to whisk. Set aside for later.
3. In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together.
5. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth.
6. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix.
7. Add half the chocolate mixture to the batter and mix.
8. Repeat until all flour and chocolate has been added into the batter mixture.
9. Fill each cupcake well 3/4 full, and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Devil’s Food Cupcakes
• Cherry pie filling
• 1 pound red chocolate melting wafers
• 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (melted)
• Black buttercream
• Black fondant
1. Fill each cupcake with cherry pie filling by coring out the centre of the cupcake. Place “lid” of core back on top of the filling.
2. Pipe a tall swirl on to the top of the cupcake using the black buttercream, and a large open round tip (such as Wilton 1A)
3. Place cupcakes, with buttercream on top, into the fridge to solidify.
4. Melt red chocolate in the microwave for 60 second intervals, using 50% power. Stir between each interval, and continue until chocolate is smooth.
5. Melt vegetable shortening until a liquid (30s-60s) in the microwave.
6. Pour half of the liquid shortening into the melted chocolate, and stir to combine.
7. Remove cupcakes from the fridge and dip the buttercream cone portion into the melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and place cupcake to the side to harden.
8. Roll small pea sized pieces of fondant into cone shapes and curve them slightly to resemble horns.
9. Dip the end of the horn into the melted chocolate, and press gently to either side of the red cone on the cupcake.
10. Serve cupcakes when ready, or store in a sealed container for 2-3 days.
Visit my blog at: http://cookiescupcakesandcardio.com